RULES & AGREEMENT
The following agreement sets the terms of submission for short screenplays. By submitting a short screenplay to Copa Shorts Film Fest you agree that you have read and will comply with the following guidelines.
Although we would love to read your original screenplay, we want to encourage you to produce a short film once you’ve been chosen as the Grand Prize Winner.
This screenplay contest is intended for non-produced films only. Principal photography must not take place before the live reading (Please see note following guidelines).
EARLY BIRD: June 30, 2016 $20 (Student – $10)
REGULAR: July 15, 2016 $25 (Student – $10)
LATE: September 30, 2016 $30 (Student – $10)
EXTENDED: October 28, 2016 $35 (Student – $10)
- Submit your short screenplay to Film Freeway (follow the link below) in .pdf format
- We only accept screenplays that follow standard Hollywood format
- Acceptable genres are: drama, comedy, animation, sci-fi, horror, foreign, documentary
- Scripts must not exceed 15 pages in length, excluding cover page
- Screenplays must have been completed after May 27, 2015
- All screenplays must be submitted in English
- No material deemed pornographic by the judges will be considered
- No substitutions of pages or scripts will be accepted after submission
- This contest is open to any writer, 18 years of age or older
- Multiple screenplays require separate submission fees
- We recommend copywriting your screenplay with WGA or loc.gov, but it is not required
- Entering this competition gives Copa Shorts Film Fest, Inc. permission to use your name and photo (both the Finalists and the Grand Prize Winner) for publicity and promotions with no additional compensation
- You agree that you are the sole author, or co-author, and have exclusive rights and authority to submit the work
- You agree that Copa Shorts Film Fest, their affiliates, sponsors, employees and judges are exempt from any and all claims, loss or liability that may be asserted against you or incurred by you or any associates, at any time in connection with the submitted work.
NOTE: If principal photography begins before the Table Reading at the festival, the screenplay will be disqualified and the screenwriter will forfeit award money. Reimbursement for prizes and any associated expenses will be pursued from the screenplay submitter.
- Acceptance letters of winners only will be emailed — please make sure that your email address is correct.
PUBLICITY & MARKETING:
- All selected scripts may be excerpted for Copa Shorts Film Fest publicity purposes.
TOP TWO FINALISTS
- The top two finalists receive a table read at the festival plus screenwriter-oriented prizes to be determined by the prize sponsor.
GRAND PRIZE WINNER
- Copa Shorts Film Fest will present $500 to the winning screenwriter immediately following the reading.
- The Grand Prize-winning screenwriter’s screenplay is guaranteed a screening at the 2018 Copa Shorts Film Fest once completed and submitted to Copa Shorts Film Fest.
- An additional $500 will be awarded if a completed film and press kit is delivered to Copa Shorts Film Fest offices via DVD/Blu-Ray by November 1, 2017.